STATE OF NEW HAMPSHIRE
CLASSIFICATION: CRIMINAL RECORDS ENTRY CLERK
Class Code: 2333-07 Date Established: 03-22-84
Occupational Code: 1-1-2 Date of Last Revision: 12-28-01
BASIC PURPOSE: To retrieve, compile, and release information relative to criminal records maintained by the Division of State Police.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Compiles accurate and complete Criminal History Record Information (CHRI) received from Superior, district and municipal courts and criminal justice agencies in order to establish identifiable descriptions on individuals in the criminal justice system.
· Maintains an up-to-date list of federal, state, local criminal justice agencies and non-criminal justice agencies authorized to receive "CHRI".
· Maintains a dissemination log of all authorized agencies who have made inquiries on a criminal record.
· Audits "CHRI" to allow for tracing and disposition of data back to the source document(s).
· Purges criminal files to remove outdated records.
· Enters fingerprint classifications of arrested persons into data base computerized system to establish position identification.
· Authenticates the release of "CHRI" to individuals possessing a court order, subpoena or signed release form.
· Deciphers information from various Troop activities in order to compile statistical data for monthly reports.
Skill: Requires skill in applying instructions to accomplish different job functions OR in operating machines for a variety of different purposes.
Knowledge: Requires understanding and using business or trades vocabulary or basic arithmetic to perform standard operating procedures.
Impact: Requires responsibility for contributing to agency objectives by ensuring the accuracy of support activities within one or more organizational units. Errors at this level affect the work of others or have measurable monetary consequences, and require verification and correction in order to complete succeeding work operations.
Supervision: Requires no supervision of employees or functions.
Working Conditions: Requires performing regular job functions in a controlled environment with minimal exposure to disagreeable job elements and little risk of hazard to physical or mental health.
Physical Demands: Requires sedentary work, including continuous sitting or occasional standing and walking.
Communication: Requires obtaining and exchanging information, referring inquiries to the appropriate source, or responding to questions from state employees or members of the general public.
Complexity: Requires a combination of job functions using minimal judgment to perform a variety of job tasks according to clearly prescribed standard practices and procedures.
Independent Action: Requires making a limited number of choices in selecting among alternative courses of action under supervisory guidance and in performing job functions according to a variety of prescribed policies or procedures.
Education: Completion of high school, G.E.D. or its equivalent, including courses in office procedures, word processing, or typing. Each additional year of approved formal education may be substituted for one year of required work experience.
Experience: One year's experience required in typing, filing, or some public contact work, preferably with some exposure to data entry experience.
License/Certification: None required.
For appointment consideration, Criminal Records Entry Clerk applicants must successfully participate in a written examination and straight copy typing exercise. These examinations measure possession of knowledge, skills and abilities identified as necessary for satisfactory job performance by this class specification.
RECOMMENDED WORK TRAITS: Knowledge of keying and data entry techniques. Knowledge of the uses and principles of codes. Skill in entering data into a word processing or computer system. Ability to type data accurately. Ability to comprehend and follow written or verbal instructions. Ability to establish and maintain harmonious working relationships with associates and to communicate with the public in a courteous manner. Must be willing to maintain appearance appropriate to assigned duties and responsibilities as determined by the agency appointing authority.
DISCLAIMER STATEMENT: This class specification is descriptive of general duties and is not intended to list every specific function of this class title.
Last Updated 05/10/02