STATE OF NEW HAMPSHIRE
CLASSIFICATION: BUILDING SERVICE WORKER III
Class Code: 1253-08 Date Established: 07-01-50
Occupational Code: 5-1-3 Date of Last Revision: 12-28-01
BASIC PURPOSE: To perform supervisory and semi-skilled work in a state agency in charge of custodial personnel responsible for routine building maintenance and custodial duties, as well as perform tasks similar to those of Building Service Worker I and II.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Assigns and checks work of building service workers and custodians for conformance to both maintenance and safety standards.
· Plans, coordinates and reviews the work of subordinates, including student interns or inmate laborers from a correctional facility.
· Keeps records such as employees' time and roster of living quarters.
· Exercises complete charge of work unit in absence of supervisor.
· Prepares orders for repairs and supplies, and checks supplies when they are received.
· Supervises simple maintenance and repairs in heating, air conditioning and plumbing.
· Performs manual work in the care, cleaning and maintenance of a state institution or office building.
· Supervises cutting of grass, trimming hedges, shoveling snow and cleaning walks and in keeping outside premises in an orderly condition.
· May perform routine maintenance on equipment used by the staff.
Skill: Requires skill in applying instructions to accomplish different job functions OR in operating machines for a variety of different purposes.
Knowledge: Requires understanding and using business or trades vocabulary or basic arithmetic to perform standard operating procedures.
Impact: Requires responsibility for contributing to agency objectives by ensuring the accuracy of support activities within one or more organizational units. Errors at this level affect the work of others or have measurable monetary consequences, and require verification and correction in order to complete succeeding work operations.
Supervision: Requires partial supervision of other employees doing work which is related or similar to the supervisor, including assigning job duties, providing training, giving instructions and checking work.
Working Conditions: Requires performing regular job functions in an environment which includes exposure to continuous physical elements or a number of disagreeable working conditions with frequent exposure to minor injuries or health hazards.
Physical Demands: Requires medium work, including continuous strenuous activities such as frequent reaching, bending, or lifting as well as performing work activities which require fine manual dexterity or coordination in operating machines or equipment.
Communication: Requires obtaining and exchanging information, referring inquiries to the appropriate source, or responding to questions from state employees or members of the general public.
Complexity: Requires a minimal combination of job functions, including performing frequently repeated tasks according to set procedures and standardized situations.
Independent Action: Requires making a limited number of choices in selecting among alternative courses of action under supervisory guidance and in performing job functions according to a variety of prescribed policies or procedures.
Education: Completion of high school, G.E.D. or its equivalent.
Experience: One year's experience in the cleaning and maintenance of an institutional or public building. Each additional year of approved work experience may be substituted for one year of required formal education.
POLICE STANDARDS AND TRAINING COUNCIL ONLY:
License/Certification: Valid New Hampshire driver's license.
RECOMMENDED WORK TRAITS: Thorough knowledge of cleaning methods and equipment. Considerable knowledge of occupational hazards and safety precautions. Ability to supervise employees. Ability to keep records and make schedules. Working knowledge of heating and plumbing systems. Ability to establish and maintain harmonious working relationships with subordinates and other employees. Must be willing to maintain appearance appropriate to assigned duties and responsibilities as determined by the agency appointing authority.
DISCLAIMER STATEMENT: This class specification is descriptive of general duties and is not intended to list every specific function of this class title.
Last Updated 05/10/02