STATE OF NEW HAMPSHIRE
CLASSIFICATION: CERTIFYING OFFICER TRAINEE
Class Code: 1643-14 Date Established: 08-29-68
Occupational Code: 7-7-3 Date of Last Revision: 12-28-01
BASIC PURPOSE: To adjudicate claims and make determinations under supervision to authorize or reject benefit payments in accordance with state laws and regulations.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Under the guidance of a Certifying Officer II, writes and issues decisions to claimants, employers, and other interested parties in order to explain the payment or denial of unemployment compensation benefits.
· Specializes in one aspect of the adjudication process such as fact finding, determining wage amounts, or writing non-separation determinations.
· Reviews and determines accuracy of claims to ensure compliance with state laws and regulations.
· Determines chargeable employer on all payable claims.
· Participates in training sessions, conferences, and staff meetings in order to update and improve knowledge and skills.
· Provides information to claimants, employers, and the public regarding unemployment compensation laws and regulations.
Skill: Requires skill in applying instructions to accomplish different job functions OR in operating machines for a variety of different purposes.
Knowledge: Requires logical or scientific understanding to analyze problems of a specialized or professional nature in a particular field.
Impact: Requires responsibility for achieving direct service objectives by assessing agency service needs and making preliminary recommendations for the development of alternative short-term program policies or procedures. Errors at this level result in incomplete assessments or misleading recommendations causing a disruption of agency programs or policies.
Supervision: Requires partial supervision of other employees doing work which is related or similar to the supervisor, including assigning job duties, providing training, giving instructions and checking work.
Working Conditions: Requires performing regular job functions in a controlled environment with minimal exposure to disagreeable job elements and little risk of hazard to physical or mental health.
Physical Demands: Requires light work, including continuous walking or operating simple equipment for extended periods of time as well as occasional strenuous activities such as reaching or bending.
Communication: Requires explaining facts, interpreting situations, or advising individuals of alternative or appropriate courses of action. This level also requires interviewing or eliciting information from state employees or members of the general public.
Complexity: Requires a combination of job functions using minimal judgment to perform a variety of job tasks according to clearly prescribed standard practices and procedures.
Independent Action: Requires a range of choice in applying a number of technical or administrative policies under general direction and making routine decisions or in recommending modifications in work procedures for approval by supervisor.
Education: Bachelor’s degree from a recognized college or university with a major study in business administration or in one of the social sciences.
Experience: No experience required. Applicants who are substituting experience for the Bachelor’s degree may use positions such as Clerk Interviewer, Case Technician, Case Aide, Tax Forms Examiner, Executive Secretary or other responsibilities at the level of the positions mentioned. For positions outside of state government, acceptable experience will be in jobs such as Personnel Assistant, Claims Examiner or Auditor, Bank Teller, Administrative Assistant, Teacher Assistant, Store Manager or in a related type position at the same or higher responsibility level.
License/Certification: None required
1. For appointment consideration, Certifying Officer Trainee applicants must successfully participate in a written examination measuring possession of knowledge, skills, and abilities identified as necessary for satisfactory job performance by this class specification.
2. The probationary period for Certifying Officer Trainee will continue until the incumbent meets the following criteria:
(a) Certification by Manager after six months of employment that employee meets expectations of job accountabilities and/or has received cross training, and
(b) possession of the equivalent of a bachelor’s degree and one year of related work experience.
RECOMMENDED WORK TRAITS: Knowledge of labor and industrial conditions within the state, occupational trends, requirements for jobs and methods and policies of securing information relative to jobs. Knowledge of the use and interpretation of labor market conditions and relative information. Some knowledge of unemployment compensation laws, the Social Security Act, workers’ compensation laws, and wage and hour laws and policies and programs affecting employment. Knowledge of interviewing and placement techniques. Knowledge of unemployment compensation benefit payment procedures, rules and regulations. Ability to make decisions based upon factual information. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with educational, training, social and other community agencies and organizations. Must be willing to maintain appearance appropriate to assigned duties and responsibilities and determined by the agency appointing authority.
DISCLAIMER STATEMENT: This class specification is descriptive of general duties and is not intended to list every specific function of this class title.
Last Updated 05/10/02